« Home 

3/25/2003

I am in an office with no windows. Florescents off, little lamp on. I have no objective idea of what the weather is like outside. I dont dare look online because I'm unmotivated to stay at my desk as it is. Some little part of me still connected with nature in my very high-tech world knows that its Spring-time. Not Work-time. Not any other time. Walk-around-outside-for-no-reason-time. In a few short days, baseball-time. No matter how badly the favored teams ended up last season, and no matter how ugly the politicians and businessmen, including players, may tie up the intestines in late August and September, Spring brings a redemption and starting anew for the sport, as much as it does all other areas. I enjoyed the purifying cold of winter, like a cold shower to reattune the senses. It could have gone on another month, as far as I'm concerned. This is mostly because I'm from Maine and now living in Philadelphia. Winter lasts till May up there. But winter has gone, like it or not. And now the grass will grow, thank you very much. The birds will chirp, whether we like it or not. The seasons barge their way in, insensitive to the declining presence of the previous. With the same childlike persistance my body is telling me that it should Not be in the office right now. It should be outside. Like the dog I never could get to heel, my mind wanders out beyond my little office. If I go out to check the temperature or air quality, I might not come back in. This would be grossly irresponsible and quite possibly the best idea I've had today. This is my first spring living in the big city, though I've worked here for two years. I dont quite have a set of expectations or spring-time rituals for the city. Where do I go to smell newly mowed grass? I have no lawn of my own to tend, which, given my normal patterns of maintenance in other areas, may be for the best. Speaking of maintenance, I do have work to do...

E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...